What’s Going On?
Our lives and relationships can be full of joy and mutual respect – rather than pain and fear. If you sometimes feel confused about your situation, think about these questions. Your responses could tell you a lot about what’s really going on…
Do you …
- Proudly announce you’ve applied for a job – or worry about what will happen if your partner finds out?
- Always have equal say about how money is spent, or rarely have any say at all?
- Tell your partner when something’s bothering you – or try not to “rock the boat”?
- Feel confident your partner looks out for and supports you – or feel constantly scolded or put down?
- Enjoy your partner’s company when you’re together – or wonder what you’ll “do wrong” this time and how you’ll “pay for it”?
- Believe you’re strong and capable – or believe what your partner often tells you: that you’re a little crazy and never do anything well enough?
- Feel your partner respects your thoughts and ideas – or that he/she always finds something wrong with your viewpoint?
- Feel loved and cherished when you and your partner make love – or that you’re being coerced? Pressured to do things you don’t really want to do? Might end up hurt, physically or emotionally?
- Talk on the phone or visit friends and family whenever you want to – or feel anxious and afraid you might “get caught”?
- Believe your home is a warm, secure, relaxing place to be – or feel that you’re always walking on eggshells? Feel unsure you, your children or your pets are safe?
If you most often chose the second half of each question, chances are your partner is abusive, even if he/she hasn’t hit you.
Call our hotline – 1-800-439-2323 – and talk to someone about what’s going on.